- Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine Review
- Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine Pros and Cons
- Brother PE535 vs PE800
- Customer Reviews and Score
The Brother PE535 embroidery machine is a machine that works well for both beginners and experts with its ease of use. This machine gives you incredible value with its multiple custom embroidery features which make embroidery very fun and easy for both beginners and veterans.
The PE535 machine comes with incredible features such as an embroidery area of 4” x 4”, 10 frame patterns, 80 in-built designs, 9 different font styles (including 6 English fonts and 3 Japanese fonts), lettering and monogramming. This embroidery machine also has an in-built memory function that allows you to import designs into the machine through the USB port.
The Brother PE535 embroidery machine comes with a big LCD color touchscreen which enables you to see the designs you want to make in color before you start to stitch. You’re able to move and place the embroidery design on the screen with your finger using the drag and drop feature.
Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine Review
This machine is built for ease of use and comes with an automatic needle threading system, tutorial videos, and a bi-lingual user manual to help you work with it. Once you understand the functions of this machine, you can do all kinds of embroidery on it.
4” X 4” Embroidery Field and Other Embroidery Features
The most popular embroidery design size for most embroiders is the 4” x 4” embroidery design. This machine comes with a 4” x 4” embroidery field. It also includes built-in alignment tools and a grid sheet which is useful to help you align the position of the needle with your design, so you can place it precisely on the fabric you’re sewing.
It also has a choice of as much as 80 built-in embroidery designs for you to choose from. The embroidery designs offer you beautiful options such as floral, borders, kids, holiday and decorative alphabet designs, and so on, for you.
This machine indeed gives you a lot of options, and this also includes the font sizes. You have 9 in-built embroidery lettering fonts that you can choose from, 6 of which are English fonts and the other 3 are Japanese fonts. These fonts also come in different sizes, large, medium, and small sizes. There are also different cases and characters. There’s the lower case and the capital case, and you also have the symbol and numeric characters. All you’re left to do is choose the one that best suits the project you’re working on.
The ability to edit the embroidery lettering means that you can adjust the embroidery lettering fonts in different ways, including aligning the text in curves or at an angle, increasing or decreasing the space between the letters, placing text on multiple lines, and much more.
You also have access to iBroidery.com designs where you can get thousands of embroidery designs, which are made exclusively for Brother Customers. With this, you have access to a wide range of high-quality designs including Marvel designs, Disney-Pixar, Disney, etc.
Automatic Needle Threader
Like many other Brother machines, it is extremely easy to thread the needle in this machine. As a matter of fact, it takes nothing from you. The machine has an in-built automatic needle threader which does the threading work for you by simply touching a lever. This is especially important for you if you have to change threads multiple times for your embroidery design.
Large, Color LCD Touch Screen Display Screen
This machine comes with a Sew Smart color LCD touch screen display that’s as big as 3.2”. This allows you to fully view your embroidery designs in color before you start to stitch. You’re also able to change the thread colors of the embroidery designs very easily using the in-built color palette to make it easy for you to preview your design before you start to stitch.
USB Port for Importing Designs
With this embroidery machine, you’re able to import .pes embroidery design files of your choice, using the in-built USB port. This means that you can always increase the amount of embroidery design options you have on the machine by simply adding more with the USB port. So, you have a virtually unlimited option for your embroidery designs. You can also edit a design and save it to a USB device or to the machine’s memory.
Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine Pros and Cons
Like every other Brother machines, the PE35 embroidery machine has a lot of features that are appealing to the expert embroider and the ease of use also makes it perfect for beginners. The fact that it has a limitless choice of embroidery designs that you can choose from, and the ability for you to add more designs to the existing ones makes it impressive.
But like other machines, it does have its own demerits as well. The pros and cons of this machine are listed below.
- Perfect for beginners, as it’s easy to set up and use, and is built for convenience.
- Very compact and portable machine weighing only 15 pounds.
- The price tag is affordable.
- It is durable and is backed with a 25 years warranty from the manufacturers.
- Large, easy to use, LCD touchscreen display.
- The machine has a built-in memory.
- Automatic needle threader.
- USB port which allows you to add designs to the machine.
- 80 pre-installed designs and access to iBroider.com for thousands of other embroidery designs.
- Numerous tools and accessories are added.
- It appears almost too easy for advanced embroiders.
- It is an embroidery only machine.
- The embroidery area is limited.
Brother PE535 vs PE800
PE535 and PE800 embroidery machines are 2 popular embroidery machines made by the trusted Brother brand. But beyond this, there are some other similarities and differences between these machines.
These machines are similar in many ways such as:
- Functionality: these machines are not commercial machines. They’re similar in the sense that they were both made to be used at home, and are designed strictly for embroidery.
- Technical specifications: they both require a 90 wt bobbin thread and the embroidery files are in the PES format.
- Limitation: the two machines are unable to trim jump stitches, and you’ll have to go back and trim it yourself after you’re done stitching your design.
- New features: these machines both have a new feature in them that allows you to continue from where you stop in case you have to put the machine off or there’s a power outage. This is due to the machine’s ability to remember where you stopped. You’re also able to back up your stitches after every 1, 10 or 100 stitches which is useful in case of a mistake.
So much for the similarities between these machines, they do have a wide difference between them. The most obvious is the fact that they have different model numbers, and secondly, there’s a wide price difference between them. But there are a few other differences as well:
- A number of designs: although PE535 and PE800 machines both come with some embroidery designs and fonts, the difference is the numbers between them which vary greatly. While PE535 comes with 80 built-in embroidery designs and 9 different fonts, the PE800 embroidery machine comes with 138 in-built embroidery designs and 11 different fonts.
- Size of the hoop: This is probably the biggest difference between these two machines, apart from the huge disparity in price. The maximum hoop size of the PE535 machine is 4” x 4”, giving a maximum stitch area of about 3.8” x 3.8”. This small size does limit you, and you won’t be able to work on large embroideries. On the other hand, the PE800 machine has a maximum hoop size of 5” x 7”. This gives you much space to work on bigger designs.
- On-screen editing: the two machines have an LCD display screen as part of their similarities which allows you to preview your design. However, their screens are different as you’re able to edit the design you’re previewing on the PE800 machine. You can flip it, duplicate, resize and rotate the design on the screen, but all of these are impossible on the PE535 machine.
Customer Reviews and Score
Brother PE535 machine is a quite impressive machine built with features that allow for ease of use and convenience on the machine. This makes the machine the right choice for beginners and intermediate users.
At the time of writing this review, there are already 120 customer ratings for this machine with the majority of them being very positive. This is proven by a score of 4.5 out of a possible 5-star rating.
One user claims that the machine is a “highly creative and reliable embroidery machine”. He also went further to say it “makes you an expert quickly”. Another satisfied user said that “it was so easy” to use and the only regret is not purchasing it earlier. One other user says it’s an “excellent machine, excellent company, and perfect for beginners”. “Everyone needs one”, “it’s so easy to use”, “it’s becoming my new obsession” are comments from another user who is obviously satisfied with the machine.
There are however some other customers that were not so satisfied. One user complained about the size of the LCD wishing it was bigger. Another user complained about not being able to do the “standard sewing tasks”, and having to own two machines to do that.
These unsatisfied customers are however very few in numbers compare to the larger population which liked the product. Only 4% of users gave it a 1-star rating and another 3% gave it a 2-star rating, making a meager 7% unsatisfied users. Meanwhile, 75% of users gave it 5 stars and another 10% gave it 4 stars, accounting for 85% of the ratings. With the remaining 8% users somewhere in-between.
In summary, the Brother PE535 embroidery machine is another highly rated machine from Brother. This machine is durable, portable and affordable. It is known for its convenience and ease of use which makes it a perfect fit for beginners. The embroidery features of this machine were built to make embroidering easier with more fun.
Like other machines made by a brother, this machine also comes with a 25 years limited warranty, free phone support, and free online technical support as well. It comes with an instructional video and a bi-lingual user manual, written in simple terms, to make learning about the machine easy for the users. So, if you have any issues with the machine, you should check your user’s manual first.
One big disadvantage of this machine is that it can’t sew, and this is a common complaint among its users. Well, the machine is an embroidery machine, so it wasn’t built to sew. It’s built to help you focus on the art of embroidery. If you need to sew, get a sewing machine as well, or go for machines that can offer you both. But for embroidery, this is a highly recommended machine.