In the bygone era, people considered sewing is the chore suitable for only mothers and grandmothers. With time, more and more art enthusiasts are displaying their skills and talent with its help. The essential part of sewing or embroidery work would be to buy a good sewing machine, doesn’t matter whether you are an amateur or an expert. There are several brands available in the market these days, and it is normal for you to feel confused.
BROTHER XM2701 Sewing Machine is without any doubt one of the most popular sewing machines on the market these days. With its affordable price and high-end features such as easy needle threader, 27 inbuilt stitches, and inbuilt free arm, it is an ideal pick for almost every sewing project.
About Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine
The Brother XM2701 sewing machine has many versatile features makes it as a favorable choice for amateurs. Weighing just 15.8 pounds, it is indeed very lightweight and easy to carry around. It comes with 27 inbuilt stitches including a mix of basic stitches as well as decorative and quilting stitches. The free arm feature of the machine makes stitching of sleeves, cuffs, and collars pretty easy. This sewing machine is a mechanical one and not computerized. It comes with a dial knob stitch selector, which you can easily move with your hand to select the width, length and the type of stitch that you prefer to use.
- 27 built-in stitches
- 63 stitch functions
- LED illuminated work area
- Supported with instructional DVD
- Free Arm
- Top drop-in bobbin
- Warranty 25 years
- Lightweight and portable
- Quality of LED light is low
- Not meant for heavy duty fabrics
Brother XM2701 REVIEW
Brother XM201 comes with plenty of features that make it a must buy for the users. It has got something for everyone- be it advanced users or starters. The sewing machine also comes with an easy to use automatic threader. It is particularly helpful if the person using the machine have bad eyesight. All you have to do is gently touch the lever present on the side of the sewing machine, and the thread will automatically drive through the needle.
The bobbin placement of any sewing machine should be ideal as to achieve firm and even stitches. Brother XM2701 comes with jam resistant drop-in bobbin. The jamming problem is what most of the users experience and hate while working on the traditional sewing machines. The drop-in bobbin is also automatic, and you just have to pop the bobbin in the right position and pull the thread out sideways and start sewing. The bobbin cover is in transparent plastic which will let you easily find out when you are low on thread, and you need to replace it.
The look of the sewing machine is pretty and petite. The floral design located on the machine adds to the elegance. LED illumination helps those people who work at night or in dimly illuminated areas. Good lighting is especially important if the work is delicate and needs an exceptional level of attention. The lightweight machine is suitable for beginners.
As already mentioned above, the 27 inbuilt stitches like zigzag, blind hem, zipper and quilting provides the user with plenty of options to choose from the default option. The dial knob selector can be easily moved to select the stitch that you prefer to use. The sewing machine’s speed is also quite impressive. At 800 stitches per minute, you can easily complete your tasks quickly and without any hassles. You can not only use this machine for your basic home projects but it can also be easily used for work like altering, quilting and crafting.
Presser foot in sewing machines are an essential part. It helps to keep your fabric straight and allows you to sew straight stitches. Brother XM2701 comes with 6 different presser foot. The zipper foot as the name suggests helps you to add zippers on any fabric. The zigzag foot is useful when you are making zigzag stitches on the fabric or sewing two pieces of fabrics together. Narrow hem foot can prove to be very useful for beginners when they are sewing very closely located hems.
It also comes with a button foot which is ideal for sewing buttons, and it features one-step automatic buttonholer which will support to create the buttonhole without any additional maneuvering and use to fit any button. Next is the blind hem foot for making hidden hems in fabrics such as dresses, pants, and blinds. The presser foot is easily changeable as well. All these pedal feet make the machine so much easy and effective to work.
The sewing machine comes with an instruction manual DVD. The DVD contains easy and simple to follow tutorials on how to make the sewing machine function in the best manner possible to get the most effective result out of it. The DVD comes along with the operation manual which means no third party help is needed to get you going with the sewing machine, all you have to do is watch the DVD and read the operation manual carefully.
The Brother XM2701 has the following warranty period: 2 years for the circuit board and electronic components, 1 year for parts and 25 years for chassis casting. Also, the phone support provided by the Brother Company is free for the entire lifetime of the sewing machine. The warranty ensures that you can use the sewing machine freely without any inhibitions or be extra careful. The machine is actually maintenance free, and you don’t have to worry about the deterioration in the quality of machine with time.
The accessories provided with the Brother XM2701 completes it and makes it more useful. This sewing machine comes with following accessories: darning plate, operation manual, power cord, 3 bobbins, twin needle, extra spool pin, screwdriver and needle pack. These accessories mean that you don’t have to spend any extra bucks on buying the same from the outside market. No carrying case included with the machine and you have to buy one for your use. All of these features come at a very reasonable price. In fact, Brother XM2701 is one of the few sewing machines in the market which gives you so many features at such reasonable price (under 100$).
Things to consider while buying a fully featured sewing machine
Many people get confused regarding what to expect while buying a fully featured sewing machine and end up making a mistake purchasing the wrong machine not suitable for their needs. We have brought for you few points that you should consider before purchasing a sewing machine.
- Budget– A sewing machine is an investment that you make. This doesn’t mean you purchase the costliest machine available in the market. Know your budget and decide how much you are willing to spend on your purchase. Then, stick to your budget and find a machine that suits your need within that amount.Usually, a sewing machine for light or medium work costs between $150 and $350 and the one for medium to heavy work cost between $350 and $1000.
- Number of stitches – Most of the normal stitching projects require the use of only basic stitches such as zigzag and straight stitch. Most people think that the higher the number of stitches available, the more effective the machine is. This is absolutely wrong as barring few of the standard stitches, and others used rarely. So don’t buy a machine just because it got lot of number of stitches.
- Computerized vs. mechanical– The computerized sewing machines come with an LCD touch screen and gives you access to numerous stitches by connecting the machine to the internet. However these machines are also more expensive, and if you are on a budget, these are not the right choice for you. Mechanical sewing machines are lighter, more portable with simple servicing needs. They are also an ideal choice for amateurs just starting to learn sewing.
- Use of the sewing machine – Before purchasing the sewing machine, you must decide where would you be using it. A lightweight and inexpensive sewing machine would not be able to sew heavy fabrics such as curtains and denim. While sewing on these heavy fabrics, make sure the machine is strong and durable.
- The frequency of using the machine – Last but not the least, you must consider how often you would be using your sewing machine. If you are going to use it occasionally for hemming or embroidery purpose, it makes no sense in purchasing an expensive machine. However, if you are frequent, make sure that your sewing machine is made of sturdy metal frame and comes with extended life warranty
The Brother XM2701 is an exceptional sewing machine with attractive features for amateurs and experts. Its affordable price and incredible features make it one of the best sewing machines currently available in the market. The petite look, portability and light weight are the factors which make it an instant hit amongst users.