Are you a newbie to sewing? Do you want to sew simple projects and use basic stitches for the same? Then the Janome 2212 sewing machine would be the right choice for you.
This is a very simple entry-level model that comes at an affordable rate. The machine has 12 built-in stitches that can be selected using a turn dial. The length and width of the stitch can be adjusted thus providing a better option for customization.
The four-step buttonhole available in this sewing machine would be apt for someone who has just learned sewing. The front-loading bobbin and the push/pull winder make threading an easy task.
Janome 2212 Sewing Machine Features
12 built-in stitches
The Janome 2212 sewing machine comes with 12 built-in stitches. Though it is less when compared to other devices, it still makes your sewing task easy. The machine has four basic in-built stitchesthat include straight stitch, buttonhole stitch, zig-zag stitch, and decorative stitch.
A unique feature of the Janome 2212 sewing machine is that it is possible to adjust the length and width of stitches, subject to a maximum of 4mm in stitch length and 5mm in stitch width. The stitches can be adjusted using an adjustable/manual control. Thus, though the variety of stitches is limited, you can adjust the size of the stitch as per your requirement.
This is yet another interesting feature of the Janome 2212 sewing machine. A free arm is nothing but an extendable arm through which you can insert cylindrical-shaped sewing material. The free arm is useful when you want to stitch the sleeves of garments or the legs of your trousers. It is also helpful while sewing baby clothes.
Drop Feed System
A drop feed or a regular feed system helps the fabric to move forward as you stitch. The drop feed is a metal plate that guides the fabric as your stitch. In a drop feed system, when the needle is up and out of the fabric, the metal plate moves along with the fabric. When the needle plunges, it creates a stitch on the fabric. When this happens continuously, you can create a stitch without having to move the fabric by yourself.
The bobbin in this machine has to be loaded from the front. The thread should be wound on a metal bobbin case, which then should be inserted into the bobbin holder. The front-loading bobbin is the original bobbin loading style.
The machine has a four-step buttonhole that needs to be adjusted manually to sew the buttonhole. This means that the machine stops stitching once a side is complete. You then need to manually turn the selection dial to stitch the other side of the buttonhole.
Bonus bundle pack
The Janome 2212 sewing machine also comes with a bonus bundle at an extra cost. The bonus bundle includes two pack sizes of 14 needles, 10 Janome bobbins,and a two-year extended warranty.
Janome 2212 Sewing Machine Accessories
The Janome 2212 sewing machine comes with following accessories:
- Zipper foot: An adjustable zipper foot can be attached to the machine for sewing zippers. This zipper foot comes with a screw that can be adjusted to change the position of the presser foot in relation to the position of the needle. You can adjust the zipper seam width by lining the zipper teeth to run against the side of the presser foot.
- Non-stick zig-zag foot: If you want to stitch difficult fabrics like vinyl and leather, then you can use the non-stick zig-zag foot. This foot ensures smooth gliding of the fabric through the machine while stitching.
- Picot foot: A picot foot is used to create shell hems on fabric. This foot is required if you undertake sewing projects like making a dress or curtains.
- Gathering foot:This accessory comes handy once you have mastered the basic sewing. A gathering foot is used to gather fabric and sew it to a piece of flat material. This foot comes handy while undertaking advanced projects like sewing a dress.
- Blind hem foot: The blind hem foot is also useful once you start undertaking sewing projects. The foot helps to sew invisible hem as seen in dresses and skirts. All you have to do is install the foot and line the fold along the white guide bar.
- Thread cutter: Instead of scissors, you can use the thread cutter to cut the thread after sewing.
- Vinyl dust cover: If you are not using the machine for sometime and want to protect it from dust, then the vinyl dust cover comes handy. This is a compact cover that is very easy to use.
There are different models and varieties of sewing machine accessories available in the market. While purchasing one, you should make sure that it is compatible with Janome 2212 sewing machine.
Janome 2212 Sewing Machine Pros
- Affordable: The Janome 2212 sewing machine is available for just less than $200. If you go for a machine without the bonus bundle. Thus, it makes the right priced sewing machine for beginners. The 12 in-built stitches, free arm, and drop feed features make it a value for money product.
- Works on a variety of fabric: Though the Janome 2212 sewing machine cannot be used for sewing heavy fabric, it can be used for a whole lot of other materials. You can stitch wool, cotton, silk, velvet, and synthetic fabric like polyester, rayon and nylon using this machine.
- Easy set-up: The Janome 2212 sewing machine is easy to install as it comes with an instruction manual. You just have to follow the directions given in the manual for installation.
- Lightweight and full size: The Janome 2212 sewing machine is all of 15 pounds. Thus, it is very easy to move it around and is the right sewing machine for beginners. The machine comes with a retractable handle that can be used for moving it.The machine is of full size that you can easily maneuver the fabric while stitching.
- Wide table area: The table area of the machine has enough space to accommodate basic quilting work as well.
- Well illuminated: The machine comes attached with a light that turns on when you switch on the machine. Thus, it is easy to work on dark colored fabric and intricate stitches on this machine.
- Stitch adjustment: It is possible to adjust the length and width of the stitches in the Janome 2212 sewing machine. Thus, you can customize the size of the stitches as per your requirement.
- Requires less maintenance: Janome 2212 sewing machine does not require high maintenance like other machines. You can wipe the machine with a soft piece of dry cloth and clean the race hook after finishing the work. The machine also needs to be lubricated occasionally for a smooth operation.
- User-friendly: The Janome 2212, being a basic model, is very easy to use. You can either follow the instruction manual or check the tutorial on YouTube and use the machine. The instruction manual even comes with line drawings that make your task easy.
- Helpful accessories: The machine has various accessories that make your sewing task easy. You can purchase bobbin, seam ripper, blind foot, buttonhole foot, zipper foot and needle set separately as per your requirement.
Janome 2212 Sewing Machine Cons
- Less number of stitches: When compared to other models of sewing machines, Janome 2212 sewing machine has only 12 built-in stitches. Thus, only minimal customization is possible using this sewing machine.
- Difficult to sew multiple layers: Since the sewing machine makes use of the drop feed system, it grabs only a single layer of cloth. Thus, if you want to sew multiple layers of clothes, then you need to adjust the fabric in this sewing machine manually.
- Front-loading bobbin: The bobbin in this machine is placed on the front and the thread should be wound on it manually. Thus, it is not an easy task. Moreover, getting the right amount of tension in the case of the front-loading bobbin is slightly difficult. This is very important to get the right stitch quality. Though the Janome 2212 sewing machine is designed as a beginner-friendly machine, the front-loading bobbin is not easy for a beginner.
- Manual tension control: If you feel that the tension of the sewing machine is not perfect, then you need to adjust it manually for that perfect stitch. The automatic tension control facility is not available in the Janome 2212 sewing machine which is a big disadvantage. If proper tension is not set, then there is always a chance that the needle might break.
- Not suited for a large volume of work: The Janome 2212 sewing machine is just a basic model. Hence, it cannot be used for advanced stitching. If you have a large volume of sewing projects to undertake, then this machine may not be the right choice.
- Less durable parts: This is a basic model sewing machine that makes use of plastic parts. Because of this, it tends to get damaged very fast.
- Low stitch per minute: The Janome 2212 sewing machine can sew only 860 stitches per minute. This low stitch count is perfect for beginners. But once you master the art and start taking up big projects, this low stitch count may not be enough.
- Difficult to sew thick fabric: The Janome 2212 sewing machine is not a heavy-duty machine. Thus, it is difficult to sew through thick fabrics like denim.
- Not for expert sewers: If you are an expert level sewer who wants to work on thick fabric like leather, then the Janome 2212 sewing machine is not the right choice. This machine is mainly meant for beginners and sewers with an intermediate skill level. If you are an expert in sewing, then this machine is not for you.
- No automated controls: Being a basic model, the Janome 2212 sewing machine does not have any automated controls. There are no automated thread trimming, automated back tacks, and automatic bobbin winder for this model. All work needs to be done manually.
With very few stitches and a simple interface, Janome 2212 is a good option sewing machines for beginners. With this machine, you can do the basic sewing task. It is lightweight and compact and at the same time, is highly durable. If you are looking for a sewing machine to learn the basics of the art without any complications, then the Janome 2212 sewing machine is the right choice.