How To Sew Fringe Trim
When it comes to decorating clothes, the fringe trim is one of the most popular methods. A fringe trim adds beautiful detail to any type of clothing it is fixed on. Fringes are threads that are left to hang loose for decoration. These threads are attached to a decorative heading. Fringe trims can be used on all types of clothing for decoration. You can fix fringe trim by hand or by sewing machine.
How To Sew Fringe Trim?
To sew a fringe trim on a garment, start by pinning the fringe trim on the garment that you want to sew it on. When it is in place, start sewing it onto the garment all around its length.
Sewing fringe trim is a long process depending on the fabric or garment you are sewing it onto. You will need to choose the best fringe trim that suits the color of the garment. It could match or contrast your garment. Just make sure that it is fixed properly and that it is visible. Fringe is a decoration that can be attached to any type of cloth from jackets, skirts, and even underwear.
How To Sew Fringe Onto Garments?
- Buy or have ready the fringe that you want to attach to your clothes.
- Mark on the selected piece of clothing where you want your fringe trim to be. You can do this by sewing a basting stitch all around.
- Place the headline of your fringe on the marked area and hold it in place with pins before you start sewing. If you are sewing it onto the bottom of your skirt, make sure that it aligns properly with the hem of the skirt. If you are sewing it onto any other type of clothing, make sure that they are at an appropriate place.
- Sew the fringe headline in place. You can do it by hand or by sewing machine.
- For a dress or skirt, make sure that the fringe trim hangs well below the hem. While the point at which it is attached is not visible from the right side.
Popular Types Of Fringe Trims
As the name suggests, looped fringes are looped at the base. Normally, fringe trims are straight. To make loop fringes, get decorating yarn and cut it into reasonable fringe sizes. Fold the yarn into loops and use anchoring stitches to attach the loops to the selected piece of clothing.
Knit fringes are the best fringes you can use. This is because knit fringes do not fray. You can easily make the fringes by yourself. Pick out a length at the bottom of your clothes and cut out fringe lines.
As the name suggests, this is a fringe trim made from the fabric of the clothes. Make a single stitch inside and remove the weft thread. Comb out the warp thread to make the fringes.
Brush fringes are made just like loop fringes. Cut your finished loops in the middle and let them hang. You now have brush fringes.
These are fringes with tassels attached to them.
These are fringes made of leather. Cut a leather strip and mark straight lines on it. With a sharp razor, knife or rotary cutter, cut out the previously prepared lines. To attach to clothing, get a headline and attach it to the cut outs. Make this heading as easy to work with as possible.
How To Make A Custom Fringe
- You will need a nylon crochet thread, a crochet hook for the size of your thread, matte board, ruler, knife, masking tape, heat tool, scissors and cork panels and pins.
- Determine how long you long you want your fringes to be.
- Since you have to crochet your threads, you need to calculate how much yarn you will need to get the desired length.
- Cut cardboard in the length of the fringes you want
- Cut out the lengths of yarn that you need and start crocheting.
- Make a crochet chain stitch on the treads up to your desired length. Use your cardboard cutout as a stand for the crocheting and to measure the length of the fringe trims.
- Attach your cut fringe yarns to the crocheted base and fasten them with anchor stitches. Make sure that the fringe is in the required length. If not adjust by loosening the knot to lengthen the fringe.
- Do this for the whole length of the fringe. As you go along check that the hanging threads are at the desired length of your fringes. If they are not, adjust your chain stitches to lengthen or shorten the hanging threads.
- At the end of you chain stitch, finish with a strong knot,
- Remove your completed fringe from the cardboard.
- You can crochet more and more colors of yarn onto these fringes to give it depth and life. Make sure that the additional yarns are different colors.
- When you are through, fix your fringe to a backing.
- The backing is the part of the fringe that will be attached to the clothes that will use the fringe trims you have made.
To make your fringe trims in this method, you need prior planning and you need a lot of patience. This project will take you a lot of time especially if you are a beginner. However, this should not scare you away from doing it. To become an expert at making fringes, you need to practice consistently. You can also make shorter fringes to save on the time you use for each. The more fringes you make, although small, the more practice you get and the better you become at doing this.
You can use as many colors of threads on the fringe as you like. This helps to develop your creativity. When you add them to a fabric, make sure they match or contrast to stand out completely.
What Is The Importance Of Fringe Trims?
Trims play an important role in transforming a plain looking garment into an elegant one. Add trims creatively to your clothes and you could take a budget piece of cloth to a high-end runway walk piece. If you have an old T-shirt, skirt or dress at home, you can add frills to make them look and feel new.
Wearing fringed clothes will be accepted differently in different scenarios. Clothes with laces and tassels for fringes are more in for relaxed days and in social scenes. It is difficult to wear fringes to formal events.
To make them an aspect of decoration, they should be easy to wear. Fringe trims should not add more weight to the clothes they are added to. Properly consider the types of fabrics or materials that you are using to make the fringe trims. Also, make sure that they are comfortable on the wearer, wherever they are on the clothes.
Using fringe trims gives your clothes an edge over others. If you are a designer, you can use fringes as your signature look for your clothes. They are beautiful and attract attention to each and every piece of clothing they are used on.
Fringe trims have been in existence in the fashion industry for decades now. They trend every once in a while, and then get out of trend. However, even when they are not trending, if you wear fringe trims on your clothes, you will stand out. They perform a stellar job in creating appeal to every garment that they are used on. You can sew fringe trims on your clothes easily. You have many types of fringe trims to choose from if you decide to wear them.