Getting the perfect stitch is very important while sewing two fabric. The stitch should be nearly invisible so that it provides a seamless finish.Blind hemming ensures that stitches are hidden under the folded portion. But stitching a blind hem can sometimes be difficult. To overcome the difficulty and to provide a perfect finish to the final product, a blind hem foot is used.
What is a Blind Hem Foot?
- What is a Blind Hem Foot?
- How to Install a Blind Hem Foot?
- How to Use the Blind Hem Foot?
- What are the Advantages of Using a Blind Hem Foot?
- What are the Different Types of Hems That Can Be Stitched Using a Blind Hem Foot?
- What are the Things to Keep in Mind While Using the Blind Hem Foot?
- Related Questions
The blind hem foot is a small device that is attached to the sewing machine to make the stitches invisible. This device comes with a metal guide in the center and grooves underneath for stitching. A wheel is also provided to adjust the foot width. The folded portion of the fabric is placed along the guide, and the grooves prevent the slipping of the fabric while stitching.
Most of the sewing machines come with an attached blind hem foot. But if your machine does not have one, then it is best to purchase a hem foot so that you can create a perfect stitch.
Let us learn more about Blind Hem foot, its use, and the advantages of using the same.
How to Install a Blind Hem Foot?
As mentioned earlier, a blind hem foot is used to stitch the blind hem in the fabric so that the fabric gets a perfect finish. Installing a blind hem foot is rather easy.
First, remove the foot you already have in your sewing machine. Then place the blind hem foot in position and just clip it in. Now the foot is ready to use.
How to Use the Blind Hem Foot?
- Fold the fabric: Before you use the blind hem foot, you should first fold the fabric. You can either fold the edge of the fabric twice or fold it in a zig-zag pattern. A zig-zag model of folding is generally done for heavyweight fabric like wool, whereas folding twice is done for light to medium weight fabric like cotton and polyester. While folding, you can use chalkto mark so that you get a perfect fold. Once the fabric isfolded, you can iron it so that the fold remains intact. You can also use pins to keep the fold in place.
- Insert the fabric in the foot: Now slowly slide the hem under the needle and the blind hem foot. The folded part of the material on the wrong side should come against the guide on the hem foot. Once the fabric is fixed correctly, you can lower the presser foot and slowly sew the hem. If you are trying the blind hem foot for the first time, then it is advisable to try it out in rough cloth. Once you master the stitching, you can stitch on apparels or drapes.
- Set the foot width: The right foot width ensures that the fabric is joined correctly, and at the same time, the stitch is not visible from the other side.If the hem foot catches too much material, then the blind hem stitch is visible from the other side. On the other hand, if the foot catches only very less fabric, then the stitch will not hold properly. Thus, selecting the right foot width is very important. The right hem foot width can be selected by turning the hem wheel.
- Stitch the hem: While using a blind hem foot, there are two ways in which the hemstitch appears. For regular fabric, the hemstitch consists of three straight lines and a zig-zag stitch. The three straight stitches hold the folded portion of the material and the zig-zag stitch joins the folded fabric with the main body.
In the case of stretch fabric, the three straight lines are replaced by three small zig-zag stitches. These small zig-zag stitches help the fabric to move. When you turn the fabric, you will be able to see only a very small portion of the thread that joins both the fabric.
What are the Advantages of Using a Blind Hem Foot?
- Invisible stitch: When you stitch hem by hand, the chances are high that the stitch is visible from the other side. The blind hem foot provides an almost invisible hem stitch which you can make out only when carefully examined.
- Perfect finish: When using a blind hem foot, the stitches are entirely invisible, and you get a perfect finish for the apparel. Thus, your garments get a tailor-made look when the blind hem foot is used.
- Less time consuming: Stitching a hem by hand is not only tedious but also time-consuming. When you use a blind hem foot,the job can be finished fast. Thus, you can do more sewing when a blind hem foot is installed. This is particularly important if you run a sewing business.
- Less expensive: A blind hem foot is not an expensive product. The cost ranges from $4 to $10 depending on the brand. Once purchased, you can do many projects with it. Thus, you can save on tailoring costs.
- High-quality material:The blind hem foot is made of high-quality material like stainless steel. Thus, it does not get rust or damage and can be used for several years.
What are the Different Types of Hems That Can Be Stitched Using a Blind Hem Foot?
You can stitch the following types of hems using a blind hem foot。
- Blind hem: To sew a blind hem, first fold the wrong side of the fabric up. Now fold it back to the right side in such a way that the edge and a section of the hem are visible. You can now stitch over the fold with a blind hem foot. The blind hem can be stitched on coarse fabric like wool and linen. The main reason is that the fiber of the fabric will hide the tiny stitches of the hem.
- Turned hem: To create this hem, fold the edge up to about 1/8th Again, fold it so that the edge goes inside. Now press it and stitch over the fold with a blind hem foot. This type of hemstitch can be used for all kinds of fabric except sheer or bulky ones.
- Overlocked and turned hem: This type of hemstitch is used for bulky fabric. In this type of stitch, the edge is folded just once and the stitch is given close to the edge. Since the folding is done only once, it becomes easy to stitch.
What are the Things to Keep in Mind While Using the Blind Hem Foot?
- You should always adjust the foot width to ensure that stitch is perfect and, at the same time, remains invisible.
- When you are using the hem foot for the first time, it is advisable to test it on a piece of cloth before stitching the fabric.
- When you use blind hem foot for the first time, you can use light to medium weight fabric like cotton as it is easy to sew.
- While using blind hem foot, make sure that the thread is of the same color as the fabric. This way, the blind stitch will be completely invisible.
- You should check whether the particular blind hem foot would fit properly on your brand of sewing machine before purchasing it.
When you are sewing high-quality and costly products like pants and shirts, a blind hem foot is highly essential. It not only hides the hem stitches but also provides a perfect finish for the dress.
For What Purpose Can I Use the Blind Hem Foot?
The blind hem foot can be used for the following sewing projects
- Home furnishings like drapes, curtains, and roman shades.
- Apparel like formal pants and shirts that require a perfect finish.
- Daily use products like napkins and handkerchiefs.
- Personal products like lingerie.