Is Sewing an Expensive Hobby
Your day to day activities can be mundane and dull because of its repetitive nature. Hobbies take that boredom away and provide you with a sense of pleasure and relaxation. The joy and peace of mind that you experience when you indulge in a hobby are beyond words. Sewing is one such hobby that provides you with a sense of accomplishment.
Is Sewing an Expensive Hobby
Whether sewing is an expensive hobby or not is a debatable question. This depends on how you undertake it. If you invest in a high-end sewing machine and purchase expensive fabric, then sewing will definitely turn out to be expensive. On the other hand, if you use a second-hand machine and pick up fabric from a thrift shop and clearance sale, then sewing need not be very expensive.
If you plan to undertake sewing as a hobby and that too economically, then this article is for you.
How to Sew Frugally
Here are a few tips for sewing frugally and keeping your overall sewing expenditure low
- Get an inexpensive sewing machine: The first major expense for sewing is a sewing machine. If you are a beginner and not sure about your commitment, then it is best to buy a second-hand sewing machine from a thrift shop, charity shop, or garage sale. You can even borrow one from your friend or family member.
If you are particular about using a new machine, then make sure to go for a beginner model with fewer features. Once you are sure about your commitment to the hobby, you can upgrade the machine.
- Learn basic hand-sewing:A sewing machine of a basic model may not have all the features that you require. Thus, it is best to learn hand sewing to make up for the missing features. Hand sewing can be time-consuming, but it helps keep your overall sewing expenditure under control.
A few of the stitches that you should be familiar with are running stitch, back stitch, cross-stitch, slip stitch and buttonhole stitch.
- Use easily available fabric: Though it is tempting to stitch on new fabric, you should purchase one only when you have fully mastered the art. You can start sewing using old bedsheets, curtains, or any long piece of fabric available at home. If nothing is available, then you can purchase it from a thrift shop or clearance section of big shops. You can also join sewing groups and get fabric at a very low rate or on an exchange basis. After all, your initial sewing projects may not be so perfect that you can wear it in public.
Once you have mastered the art and gained enough confidence, you can consider purchasing fabric from online shops.This way, you can make a detailed comparison and pick up the best deal. Look out for sale or offers to get a good deal. E-bay is a great place to purchase fabric at a good rate.
- Collect accessories and embellishments: Instead of purchasing all those fancy buttons and bows, why not start collecting it? You can go through your old dresses and pull out beautiful embellishments. Buttons, zippers, and elastic are a few other accessories that you can remove from old garments and bags and reuse.
If a fellow crafter is downsizing their collection or giving up the hobby for some reason, you can purchase accessories from them at a very low rate. Thrift shops and sewers community are other places from where you can source unique and beautiful accessories at a cheaper rate.
But when it comes to sewing accessories, like scissors and needle, it is best to purchase new ones rather than reusing old ones. Old scissors and needles may not be sharp and can eat up a lot of your valuable time. Also, make sure to purchase good quality thread that does not bleed or fade off when washed.
Is Sewing Clothes Cheaper Than Buying
The answer is yes. Sewing is any time cheaper than buying readymade garments. This is because you can sew garments as per your taste and budget, whereas readymade garments tend to have a fixed price and design.
If you undertake sewing, you can purchase fabric online at the best deal. Sewing and garment accessories can be purchased on sale or from thrift shops. And you save on a major expense,i.e., labor cost as you are undertaking the work all by yourself. Eventually, sewing your own dress becomes much cheaper than purchasing a new one.
In short, purchasing the dress worn by a Hollywood celebrity or from a famous fashion brand is a dream for many. It is, however, possible if you copy the design and stitch on your own.
Is Learning To Sew Worth It
A hobby, in any form, is worth learning. It not only lets you enjoy the small pleasures of life but also offers an earning potential, in case the need arises.
Sewing is a hobby that you can practice all through your life. It lets you custom-make garments as per your taste, thus offering a sense of happiness and contentment. If you are tight on budget, then sewing your own garments help you save money. Similarly, you can also alter, repair, or upcycle your garments if you know sewing. There are various budget-friendly ways you can undertakesewing projects, which helps to save a lot of money.
Sewing also provides you with a lot of earning potential. You can undertake sewing projects from home or even start a sewing business of your own. Depending on your skill and talent, you can earn well and prosper in your sewing business.
Thus, learning to sew is worth in all respect.
Can I Make Money Sewing At Home
Yes, it is possible to make money by sewing at home. To start a sewing business from home, first, you need to invest in the infrastructure. This includes a good quality sewing machine, fabric, needle, threads, and scissors. Depending on the type of sewing projects you plan to undertake, you might need other accessories as well.
Once your infrastructure is all set, you should spread the word about your business among family and friends. You can also advertise it online through Facebook and Instagram. If you are interested, you can also sell your wares in the flea market, boutiques and consignment shops.
What to sew is entirely your choice. Apart from garments, you can sew furnishing, soft toys, and bags. The demand for the product and the availability of raw material should be considered while deciding what to sew.
What Are The Benefits Of Sewing
Apart from providing happiness and a sense of accomplishment, sewing offers the following benefits.
- Sewing reduces stress and anxiety. When you concentrate on the project in hand, your mind will not divert to negative thoughts. This helps to beat stress and calm your mind.
- Sewing involves proper coordination between your eyes and hands. Tasks like threading and cutting help in enhancing your motor skills.
- Sewing is a creative work. Thinking, as part of the sewing project, helps the brain cells to grow. Thus, you remain more alert and helps in your mental growth. This helps a lot in fighting dementia as you grow old.
- If you attend a local sewing class or have fellow sewers sewing with you, then it also becomes a time of socializing. You get to meet people who share the same interest as yours and receive compliments from them. This helps to boost your confidence.
- In addition to all this, sewing helps to come up with the original creation of your own. Though you might have gained inspiration from some other design, every sewer leaves a personal touch in their creation that makes it a unique piece.