Dress pants are one of the most essential outfits for both men and women. Any casual outing or occasion calls you to wear a dress pant, right? Well, people like to wear pants due to their immense comfort and style.
But what to do if your pants are too tight around the waist? Are your pants squeezing you around the waist while buttoning them? Whatever may be the reason, you won’t have to worry anymore.
You won’t have to buy a new pair of jeans as you can make your pants bigger around the waist. With the stretching or sewing technique, you can easily widen the waistline of your pants.
For a temporary solution, you can stretch the fabric to make it loose. In addition, you can use scissors and a sewing machine for a permanent altering solution to your pants.
In this blog, we have discussed the quickest and easiest methods to make your pants wide around the waistline. So, let’s dig in-depth.
How To Make Dress Pants Waist Bigger?
If you have enough patience, determination and skills, you can easily make dress pants waist bigger by altering them. If you’ve got a sewing machine, you’re all set to start altering any type of pants. You can alter your pants, depending on their style, fabric, etc.
You can make your pants waist bigger with or without a sewing machine. Although, a sewing machine will make your work easier and quicker. You can try a few techniques like sewing elastic into your waistband, stretching the waistband while pants are wet, or using waistband stretchers.
So, you must be wondering about the easiest way. Here, stretching the waistband of the pants will fit your criteria, along with some tricks and tips mentioned below. You can also cut and resew your pants to alter them permanently. So, follow this blog for intriguing in-depth methods and steps.
5 Methods To Make Dress Pants Waist Bigger Without Sewing
Several methods will help you to alter and make your pants waist bigger on your own. Some of the methods are:
1. Warm Water Soaking Method
Whether you want to make your jeans or trousers bigger, using this method will be effective.
- You have to pause the cycle of the washing machine after the first rinse. You can also soak your pants in a bathtub with warm water.
- Now, remove your pants from the washing machine or bathtub, hold the opposite ends of the waistband of your pants, pull firmly.
- You have to rotate the waistband and pause to tug the pants. This tugging of your pants waist will expand the fabric material and make it bigger.
2. Spray Bottle Wearing Method
If you’ve got an emergency to go out, but your pants are too tight to button up, try this method.
- In this method, you have to wear your pants and get them as close as you can.
- Now, take a spray bottle filled with warm water. Then, Spritz the pants with spraying and keep the waist for decent soaking.
- Finally, pull the waistline close to each other for an immediate settlement of your pants waist.
3. Clothes-Hanger Method
In this method, you have to find a sturdy hanger for clothes. You must ensure to find a hanger long enough to fit the waistband circle easily.
- Firstly, soak or spray on your pants with some lukewarm water after closing the buttons and zippers.
- Now, stretch your pants waist tightly around the hanger. This will create a taunt, straight line across the waistline.
- Finally, you have to leave it to dry and remove the hanger.
4. Steaming Method
- In this method, you will have to use a handheld steamer for warming and dampening your pants.
- Moreover, do not try this method while wearing pants. You can suspend your pants over a hanger, steam them, and start stretching them around the waist.
- If you don’t have a handheld steamer, you can use iron on a steam setting and iron them before stretching.
5. Hair Elastic Method
For a temporary solution for your pants altering, you can try this method. You have to use a regular-sized elastic to thread it through the buttonholes. Now, push one particular end of your elastic through this loop to another end. Then, pull it tight or loose enough for a bigger and better pants waistline.
Steps To Make Pants Waist Bigger With Sewing
If you’re a sewing enthusiast and want a permanent solution from your altering, go with sewing steps. So, follow these steps for easy yet effective sewing pants.
Step 1: Perform The Side Seams Of Your Pants
In this step, you have to insert a V-pattern of extra fabric at the side seams of the pants.
Firstly, remove the belt loops of your pants. Now, use a seam ripper or sewing shears to pick out the side seams or to slice down the seam. This will open up the pants seam to a couple of inches below the waist.
Now, pull the seam to create a V shape. If you want a wide stretch to make your pants waist bigger, use an elastic for stretching.
Step 2: Cutting The Fabric
Now, cut the piece of fabric or elastic and fold it to form a rectangular shape.
Make sure that you fold it an inch wider than the V-shaped side seams and an inch longer than the bottom of the V.
Then, use zigzag stitches around the edges of the rectangular piece of folded fabric. Now, place your rectangle inside the V of the side seam.
Then, pin it, do zigzag stitches over the open edge, and sew down.
Step 3: Center And Back Seam Allowance
You have to include a bit more seam allowance at the centre back of your pants waist. This will allow you to make the waist bigger easily.
In spite of adding new fabric, you can pick out the seam and start sewing a new seam closer to the inside edge.
Step 4: Sew Your Elastic Waistband
In this step, finally, you can remove the waistband and replace it with a stretchable and elastic waistband. You can sew the elastic waistband by the edges for a more secure hold.
Tips To Buy The Right Pair Of Pants
Every individual has a different shape and size of the body, making it difficult to find the right pair of pants. Well, here’s the golden tip for choosing the right pair of pants while shopping.
- The 2-finger Test: See if you’re able to slide two of your fingers into the pants waistband without feeling too tight. Your pants will expand a little bit after wearing them a couple of times.
- Don’t Choose Tighter Ones: Also, never buy pants that feel tight at the store, as they will get more tight at home. There are several types of pants with different designs. So, ensure to buy the one that feels comfortable around the waist and hip.
- Eliminate Shrink: As you know, pants may shrink if washed in hot or warm water and put into a dryer. So, you can use an air dryer or stretching methods to eliminate the shrink after a wash.
- Straight Pants: If you’re an ectomorph, which is a lean and slender body, you must choose straight-leg pants with a low rise. These pants are perfect for slender legs with roomy space inside.
- Regular-fit: If you’re a muscular person, you can follow the tips to wear regular-fit pants with wider legs. These pants will enhance your toned body.
- Relaxed Fitting: For wide hips, you can choose to wear pants with relaxed-fitting one size up, loose pants with wide legs and seat for casual purposes, and so on.
How Can You Hem Your Pants Quickly?
With proper materials and the right technique, you can easily and quickly hem your pants. You will need a needle, matching thread of your pants, and some time.
You can quickly and easily take out the few hem stitches to hem your pants correctly and precisely. In addition, you can use a wrought iron hem tape for a new-trend fashioned work.
Moreover, try not to use staplers to hem your pants. This will affect the looks and seam of your overall pants.
How Can You Alter The Length Of Your Hips And Thighs?
It can be challenging to expand the hips and thighs of your pants in a quick and unnoticeable way. If you want to make the hips and thighs of your pants bigger, you can follow the fun way of alteration.
Firstly, cut the pants open all down the side seam. Then, you can use a few contrasting fabrics or elastic to sew them. This will ultimately give you an expanded room for your pants.
If you want to fill the gap in the waistline of your pants for a perfect, comfortable fit, you can alter them. If your pants fit perfectly around the legs and thighs but not in the waistline, you will need alteration.
For picking out the centre back seam stitches, you can use a seam ripper. In addition, you have to separate or remove the existing waistband from your pants. Then, take some excess fabric and take a fitting seam allowance to sew them back again.